This is Why.

I've noticed that a couple other people have recipe blogs, and I decided why not. This way I NEVER lose a recipe, and if someone wants a recipe from me they can just come here and find it. It might be easier than calling and asking me to repeat it back to them. Brenden says nobody wants my recipes, and that's okay, this is just so I never lose them :o) Sorry if some of these don't make sense to you.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Carmels (Pat)

2 c. granulated sugar
2 c. white corn syrup
3 c. whipping cream
dash of salt
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
1 T. vanilla
1 c. chopped nuts

Combine sugar, salt and corn syrup in heavy, deep saucepan. Bring to a boil (Medium heat), stirring frequently. Cook until mixture begins to change color-10 to 15 minutes.
In meantime, combine cream and sweetened condensed milk and scald in double boiler. Add scalded cream very slowly to first mixture, so that boiling never stops, stirring frequently. Allow 45 minutes for cream to be added. {I add about 1/3 cup of cream at a time.} Continue cooking over medium heat until thermometer registers 232 F. Remove from heat: add vanilla and nuts; stir well and pour in a WELL OILED pan. Do not disturb candy for 12 hours. then remove from pan, cut into squares and wrap individually in waxed paper.
(I only stir it when I add the cream and after the cream is added I put the thermometer in mixture and stir occasionally until it reaches the right temperature.)

No comments: